Comments on Name Based Virtual Hosting Policy Recommendation

Jim Macknik jmacknik at inflow.com
Fri Jun 8 15:03:36 EDT 2001

This is where it gets confusing. "Qualify" for what? If this is just to
gather information, then ARIN should be gathering information on why people
request address space for IP-based hosting, whether it's technical (SSL
requirements, etc.) or simply preference.

Once ARIN has gathered the information, then they can create a policy. But
to say that a justification document does not "qualify" for an
information-gathering stage doesn't work. It's either required by ARIN, then
reviewed for its validity and IP space is assigned after it is approved, or
it is required when space is requested from ARIN so that ARIN can collect
information, regardless of the space requested.

Otherwise, its a double standard and an excellent explanation for why people
do not understand what is being requested of them.

=- Mack -=

James M. Macknik
Manager, Systems Engineering
2401 15th St.