Things that need to be addressed

Sweeting, John John.Sweeting at cwusa.com
Tue Nov 7 18:35:35 EST 2000

I think that we need to go back to the basics (which were in the first few
posts) and define the scope of the problem that we are trying to resolve
with this policy. I believe Alec's point was that in order to have an
effective policy it must be created to solve a specific issue and not try to
solve all issues with one policy. Policies are usually made to either change
or modify the behavior of certain individuals (or companies) and with that
in mind, policy makers must try their best to be fair to the greatest number
of individuals (or companies)with the least amount of disruption possible.
So with that in mind we should determine the following:

1. What is the exact problem that needs to be fixed?
2. What is the best way to solve that problem?
3. What are the issues that would prevent us from setting a policy based on
the best solution? and how do we deal with those issues?

There are several ways to deal with the issues, they can be accounted for in
the policy if they are within the scope of the actual problem, they can be
ignored as out of scope, they can be addressed with the individuals (or
companies) that find them to be issues etc.....

BTW, I agree that ARIN cannot (and to the best of my knowledge has not) base
it's policy on the actions of others but rather on the scope of the problem
that the members have determined requires fixing.