Closure?

J. Scott Marcus smarcus at genuity.com
Mon Jan 29 14:40:16 EST 2001

At 15:09 01/26/2001 -0500, Marc Blanchet wrote:

>>         Unless a viable counter proposal or modification to the existing
>>IAB/IESG proposal that has been accepted by RIPE and APNIC, I'm going
>>to recommend to the ARIN council that silence is consent and ARIN should
>>adopt the IAB/IESG proposal for a /48 being the default delegation size,
>
>for any organisation. (obvious but just want to make sure...)

Note quite.  As I understand it, Marc, a /48 would also be the standard
allocation for a _home_ connection, unless it was absolutely certain that
there would never be a subnet behind that connection.  (Thus, dial-up
connections might possibly be limited to a /64; however, the recommendation
seems to discount this possibility.)

The IAB/IESG recommendation says:

> ... It is not obvious, however, that all edge networks are likely to be
>recursively subnetted; an individual PC in a home, or a single cell in
>a mobile telephone network, for example, may or may not be further
>subnetted (depending whether they are acting as, e.g., gateways to
>personal, home, or vehicular networks).  When a network number is
>delegated to a place that will not require subnetting, therefore, it
>might be acceptable for an ISP to give a single 64 bit prefix -
>perhaps shared among the dial-in connections to the same ISP router.
>However this decision may be taken in the knowledge that there is
>objectively no shortage of /48s, and the expectation that personal,
>home and vehicle networks will become the norm.  Indeed, it is widely
>expected that all IPv6 subscribers, whether domestic (homes), mobile
>(vehicles or individuals), or enterprises of any size, will eventually
>possess multiple always-on hosts, at least one subnet with the
>potential for additional subnetting, and therefore some internal
>routing capability.  Note that in the mobile environment, the device
>connecting a mobile site to the network may in fact be a third
>generation cellular telephone.  In other words the subscriber
>allocation unit is not always a host; it is always potentially a site...

Thus, the allocation of a /48 is by no means limited to organizations.

Cheers,
- Scott