[Services-wg] CKN23-ARIN thoughts

David R Huberman daveid at panix.com
Mon Sep 12 13:05:53 EDT 2016

WG and staff,

I have re-reviewed the CKN23 document, and in light of our call, here are
my final thoughts:

1) I agree with Matt that hijackers are more normally going to use Whois
to verify what they already know: that a block is abandoned and ripe for
their misuse.

2) If, as reported by staff, ARIN is receiving 5-10 calls a week on this,
that doesn't seem like a "problem" to me. Rather, it seems like CKN23-ARIN
is working as intended.  It's causing registrants to contact ARIN and,
unwillingly or not, learn how to update their registration information. I
see this as highly valuable to the community -- more up-to-date contact
information is good.  If the registrant who contacts ARIN to complain does
not ultimately update their information, then I can only assume it either
wasn't important enough of a problem to them to actually do anything about
it, or perhaps they really shouldnt be listed :)

3) Formally, I support Option #1, the do nothing option.  But I can
support Option #3, reinstating old resource tech POCs back to the
resource, but locking to prevent them from making rDNS changes without
validation.

Thank you,
David