[ppml] Global Policies and Coordinated Policies

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Mar 14 20:45:38 EDT 2007

>In a message written on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:05:00AM -0000,
>michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> > In case you hadn't noticed, this policy proposal was made by people from
> > outside the ARIN region. The same proposal was put before APNIC in their
> > own region. They are attempting to create a global policy without
> > following the global policy process of NRO
> > http://www.nro.net/policy/index.html

As someone who was deeply involved in drafting the NRO documents some
years back, it may be helpful here if I attempt to clarify the
distinction between "Global Policies" in the sense of the NRO process
referenced here and "Coordinated Policies" in the context of the RIRs.

In the context of the NRO "Global Policies" these are policies that
require the actions of the IANA or some other ICANN-related body in
order to be implemented (see Section 5 of the ASO MoU). For example,
changing the allocation unit of IPv6 address blocks from IANA to the
RIRs was a "Global Policy" There is a defined process for the
development process, and I believe that the current description is in
Attachment A of  http://www.nro.net/documents/nro11.html

Coordinated Policies are policies that are intended to be common
across the RIRs, but do not require the actions of any external
entity in order to be implemented. As I recall there was an effort
some years back to coordinate the IPv6 allocation policies across the
RIRs, for example. Coordinated Policy proposals do not need to follow
the NRO Global Policy process. Coordinated Policy proposals do need
to be submitted to all the regional policy development fora, and the
proposal may require continual refinement until it reaches a point
where it has achieved acceptance from all the regional policy fora.

regards,

   Geoff