[ppml] 2006-1 Residential Privacy Policy

Sam Weiler weiler at tislabs.com
Tue Oct 3 09:28:34 EDT 2006

Martin Hannigan writes:

>> - Current Status: Not revised; the author did not desire to change the
>> text of the proposal
>
> Ok. I'll bite. Why not? This seems obtuse considering
> all of the feedback provided and the subsequent discussion.

As I wrote in April: "...it seems that the main point of contention in
2006-1 (Residential Customer Privacy) is about whether ARIN will
continue to get city, state (or province), and postal code or not (or
perhaps the objection was merely that the text I proposed is unclear
on that question)."[1]

Since then, I think we've clarified the meaning of the text (this text
doesn't constrain what ARIN could ask for under NDA, it just gives
ISPs permission to suppress data from the WHOIS [2]).

I also asked ARIN staff to clarify their need for city/state/zip[1].
ARIN's CEO responded: "I will not go into a discussion of how often or
under which circumstances it is specifically used, but will say that
it is necessary information needed by staff to perform their work."[3]
Absent more detail from the staff, I continue to believe that this
policy won't cause ARIN any operational problems that can't be easily
worked around (perhaps with an NDA'd disclosure).

So I think we've made progress on the main point of contention, and
that progress doesn't suggest to me that the text needs to change.
Accordingly, I left the text untouched.

-- Sam

[1] http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2006-April/005330.html
[2] http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2006-April/005340.html