FW: Long over due

Jason Redisch jredisch at virtela.com
Wed May 10 14:01:49 EDT 2000

Thanks Danny,

	A lot of the discussion at the last meeting centered on the fact that a lot
of unjustified IP space was changing hands through some rather suspect
sales.  As a policy there is no way to distinguish between a 'legitimate
transfer' caused by merger activity vs. the sale of IP address through a
shell corp. of some sort.

	One solution proposed was to increase the cost of transfer and increase the
justification required for a transfer.  This makes it more difficult for
everyone involved.  As the policy stands now all of the IP space being
transferred from the purchased company must undergo justification at the
time of the transfer. This slows down the transfer process but is required
as the end users may never have to come back to ARIN again after the
transfer is complete.  If there was a way to speed the transfer process for
ISP's who have to come back every three months anyway, this might allow ARIN
to focus more time on the 'other' transfers while actually making life
easier for members working on legitimate mergers.

	What I am proposing is that if both companies involved in a merger are
registered ARIN ISP's that have a history with ARIN, then the justification
of the transfer between the two maintainer ID's should be included with the
justification the next time an ISP has to go back for more IP space.  This
way the ISP's can focus on the mergers and ARIN can focus more energy on
transfers between entities without a history.

	The main logic behind this change is that both ISP's had already justified
their IP space to ARIN under the current ARIN policy.  They still must show
they have a need for the combined IP space, but there is no reason this
cannot be combined with the justification at the time of their next request.

Questions:

Should end users be included in this as well or should it only impact ISP to
ISP mergers as end users may not have the need to ever come back to ARIN
again?  What about ISP end user mergers?

What does is mean to have a history with ARIN?  A number of additional space
requests?  Some period of time?

If something like this is approved what additional changes should be made
the transfer policy for those organizations who do not fall under this new
policy?  Increased cost?  More justification?

Is this worth the time to discuss or should we be looking at just making
transfers more difficult across the board?

Jason Redisch 		(w) 720-528-4368
Sr IP Engineer			(f) 720-528-4361
Virtela Communications