[nrr-blueprint] RIR Blueprint for Reform

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Thu Oct 10 20:52:17 EDT 2002

Bill,

Thanks for this comment.

The underlying nature of the landscape here is that many parts of the world
have undergone, or are in the process of implementation of, deregulation of
many aspects of communications service provision. Accompanying this
deregulation is the move towards an industry self-regulatory framework,
where the stakeholders within a deregulated industry sector work together
to determine the common conditions or applicable constraints that should be
applied within the activity. Obviously most governments maintain various
reserve powers, as well as powers of consumer protection, fair trading,
etc, so these self-regulatory structures are not without a broader context
of public policy.

The RIRs, through the extensive use of the open policy process, believe
that they maintain strong links with the stakeholders in this area of
deregulated activity, and the so-called "bottom-up" nature of the open
policy decision process used by the RIRs is a good example of the desired
decision making framework in a deregulated industry sector.

It has been the case in recent years that surveys of RIR membership have
exposed the desire that the RIRs themselves take on a role  of greater
interface with governmental and semi-governmental entities within their
region.  The rationale here is not seeking any new format of regulatory
imposition from governments, but more to be in a position to demonstrate to
interested parties, including such public agencies, that the open
self-regulatory process as used by the RIRs is effective in arriving at
consensus outcomes that meet the requirements of all interested parties. As
is evident in the RIR open policy process, the consideration of
address-related policies often has a significant component that is not
purely technical in nature, and the RIRs have been successful in engaging
the broader set of interested communities within their open policy
processes that has allowed these considerations to be aired and these
perspectives to be included within the policy consensus process.

 From this perspective of the observation of the open RIR policy process as
works today, its not immediately obvious to me that ICANN has a potential
role in the interpretation and explanation of number policy and operations
to governments as you propose in your comment. Rather than attempting to
segment the set of interested parties into two blocks, those within the RIR
community of interest and those within the ICANN community of interest, the
RIRs see it as in the interests of effective, open and transparent policy
development relating to the management of Internet number resources that
all interested parties have the ability to directly participate in the RIR
open policy development process.

For this reason the Blueprint does not suggest that ICANN work within a
constituency of public agencies and related governmental organizations at a
public policy level and the RIRs work within a constituency of membership
at a technical level..The Blueprint nominates a structure of delegation of
operational responsibility and a delegation of the role of approval of
common global RIR policies, and a  continuing role for ICANN as one of
assuring process integrity relating to these delegations, ensuring that the
delegated functions are operated in a manner that is entirely conformant to
the associated processes that are to be followed by the RIRs and the ASO.

Kind regards,

   Geoff Huston

   (This is a personal comment)