(IPng 4177) Re: An idea to bounce off people: storing routing info in the DNS instead of the routers.

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 25 03:32:01 EDT 1997

Jim,

bound at zk3.dec.com wrote:

> Well it can't be down without translators on the host.  But no we have
> no IETF solutiion at this time.

  That is my understanding as well.  The IETF is still working on a
standard here form wht I understand.

> Some of us are working on it but I am not sure this can be brought into
> the IETF.  How I do it on my implementation may not be good for another
> implementation.

  True.  But some standardation can be achieved.

> Also they have a lot of evil aspects like killing performance and a
> nightmare to manage.

  Yes, the performance hit is significant I must admit.  I am not
in agreement with the managment part however.  I have done this
already on several occasions and the managment aspect is really a
matter of setting up good procedures and some tool development,
which I have done myself.

> Lots of different ways to do them.  This just may be the place where
> added value exists and the vendor who does this well will sell more
> IPv6.

  I agree.

> At the ngtrans group I will present deployment scenarios and this is
> clearly one of them.

  Great!  I think it would be very helpfull.

> It also can be avoided in most cases too with private IPv4 addresses.

  Not sure what you are refering to here.  FOr intrAnet I do, but for
Internet addressable IPv4 I don't.  Can you clearify a bit?  >;)

> /jim

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com