Rebuttal to Mr. Weisberg's insinuations

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Sat Jul 19 14:30:12 EDT 1997

At 09:52 AM 7/19/97 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:

>P.S. seeing as how ARIN is supposed to allocate IP addresses for all of
>North America can you give me any good reason why Canadian political
>traditions should not take precedence over the American political
>traditions you are espousing?

Michael, I would presume Canadian interests would be represented in ARIN in
direct proportion to the percentage of membership Canadians hold in ARIN.
Likewise for other countries.  If they need policies more finely tuned,
they should have national or local registries.  You can't (shouldn't?) use
the water management policy from the rain forests in Puerto Rico as the
water management policy in SoCal.

I know right now I'd settle for an ARIN that was 100% European or Asian (as
exemplified by RIPE and APNIC) over the current operation known as
NSI/InterNIC or the proposed three (3) year slide into a participatory and
representative ARIN.

As a former exporter of software technology to Europe, I'm embarrassed for
this country's example of an IP registry and the discrimination it
practices in the name of technology shortcomings brought on by coddling
Pancho.  People get a 12X longer warranty on a $1500 PC at Walmart than a
business does when they invest in a 7xxx router.  Perhaps new firms coming
to market with routers with OC192 speeds and millions of routes will
differentiate their product with regard to these matters also.