An idea to bounce off people: storing routing info in the DNS instead of the routers.

Michael Gersten michael at STB.INFO.COM
Fri Jul 18 19:21:00 EDT 1997

Here's an idea that I wanted to bounce off people, a way to extend
IPv4, reduce the size of the routing tables used by the routers,
enable /31's to be published (are /32's even legal? If so, them too),
and solve the complaint that people have of only ARIN issuing IP
numbers (with no clear idea of what numbers or what criteria) by
allowing anyone with extra IP's to act as an assigner of IP's.

The general assumptions are:
1. CIDR table reduction is blocked by non-collapsable entries (I.e,
there's a lot of different published routes going through each
backbone provider, which can never be collapsed without major
renumbering)
2. Multihomed network entries are not a large component of the
routing tables (A multihomed network: Any backbone that connects
to two or more interconnection points, or any ISP that connects to
two or more backbones, or any network that connects to two or
more ISPs),
3. A new version of VJ-header compression can be written to deal
with loose source routes in the headers (on the assumption that 99%
of the loose source routes will be the same as the last one, just like
the current assumption that 99% of the packets will go to the same
place as the last packet),
4. Routers either (A) do not mind loose source routes in packets
going through them, or (B) can have their software modified so that
loose source routes, if "unchanged" (see 3 above), are essentially the
same as destination addresses,
5. People will (can be forced to) update their DNS entries if the
alternative is no packets will reach them (for the average dialup user
this is a do-nothing -- their ISP will update the ISP's DNS entries if
the ISP changes its backbone provider),
6. Someone else can solve the DNS security issues (:-)
7. All "major" routers -- those used by sprint, MCI, etc, can get
software updates within about 6 months or less,
8. (The Big One): IP v4 has a router redirect message that can
specify a loose source route to use, not just a single host to use, and
that most vendor's ship an IP stack that accepts this message
correctly,
9. Adding a new DNS RR to the v4 DNS isn't difficult (will live in the
in-addr.arpa domain, just like the PTR record does now)

Before I send off the idea, I wanted to get people's comments on
these assumptions, especially #8. (Some of you may already see
what I'm saying here).

Note on #6: Right now I can find rfc's describing RIP, and how
routing used to work in the internet. I know that things are not the
same as they used to be, and that there's a lot of security in the
routing protocols now, but I do not know which rfc's describe the
current situation. I also understand that the DNS system can be
easily lied to, so security is a real concern on this.

		Michael
p.s. I apologize if these are not the appropriate lists; they are the
most appropriate ones I know of.
--
Michael Gersten     michael at stb.info.com      http://www.stb.info.com/~michael
NeXT Registered Developer (NeRD) # 3860