a 2nd potential solution

Vince Wolodkin wolodkin at digitalink.com
Fri Jul 18 13:36:16 EDT 1997

I had a thought along the lines of an ISPAC but at a higher level.  What
is large NSPs went together in groups of two or three and got routeable
space that they ISPACed.  Then they could offer a package deal to ISPs.

Let's say for example that UUnet and Sprint go together and request a
block.  They can now offer multi-homing services to smaller ISP's as a
package deal, one line to Sprint, and one to UUnet.  This is good for
the big provider's and good for the little providers and good for the
address space.

It's also much easier for people like UUnet, Sprint, MCI etc to go
together and get routeable space than it is for ISPs.

Perhaps Priori could find another NSP it has synergy with, and get a
shared block with the other NSP.  You would then corner the market on
small ISPs because the easiest way for them to multi-home would be to
"buy the package" from Priori.  Maybe you could do it with one of the
biggies.

Vince

P.S.  If you do this and it is successful, I expect my check:-)