Rebuttal to Mr. Weisberg's insinuations Re: Important News from Don Telage about ARIN

Philip J. Nesser II pjnesser at MARTIGNY.AI.MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 17 18:11:57 EDT 1997

Jim Fleming supposedly said:

> Gordon,
>
> You recently posted that NSI was funding ARIN with a million
> dollars and that Don Telage would be involved because of the
> large investment that he is making. Now you claim that ARIN
> has no money and needs "members". Which is it ?

As usual, you attempt to twist the simplest phrases into having some hidden
meaning.  Applying the slightest amount of mental energy would produce the
following (obvious) conclusion:

  NSI is providing intial funding for ARIN, but ARIN needs members if they
  want to be self funding.

(In case you didn't want to spend that mental energy, that point has been
stated countless times in the last 8 months.)

> You also claimed that Don Telage does not "grok" the Internet.
> If this is the case, then why would he be at the center of your
> ARIN planning and why would he be the person that wrote and
> presented the NSI alternative plan to the IAHC ?

Don Telage is a businessman and hence understand the concepts of legal and
business issues required in setting up something like ARIN and hence it
makes sense that he be involved in it.

> Now you claim that ARIN will not be operational for 6 to 9 months.
> Can you present the reasons for this delay ? How does the NSI
> IPO impact this delay ?

The claim was that ARIN will not be self supporting for 6 to 9 months.
Amazingly enough the reasons that ARIN has been delayed are largely due to
ravings posted to everybody under the sun that there was some conspiracy
afoot.  After looking into those ravings, (and finding them baseless) ARIN
is finally being allowed to go forward.

> Also, once again, what is your role and financial interest, if any,
> in the ARIN planning ? It appears from your reports that you
> have been one of the main people shaping the ARIN structure.
> I thought that the "members" were supposed to shape ARIN.
> Are you part of the membership committee or a founder ?

Members will shape the way ARIN operates, but it has to get to the point of
being able to accept members before they can take that responsibility.
The proposed BOT has long been known, and Gordon is not one of them.  There
are however many, including Gordon (and I) who are supporters of ARIN
because we believe in its goals and its necessity.

> Jim Fleming

--->  Phil