Forcible reclamation?

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 8 08:57:37 EDT 1997

> On Tuesday, July 08, 1997 3:09 AM, Jeff Williams[SMTP:jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com] wrote:
> @   Agreed.  That is why we should be looking at adding more address space
> @ as a priority rather than imposing restrictions on allocations as a
> @ priority.  I agree that if we can reclaim space that is not being used,
> @ than this avenue should of course be exploited.  BUT FIRST and FORMOST
> @ providing new and additional address space should be the #1 priority.
> @ This however does not seem to be the case according to the tennor of
> @ the discussion on this list, nor form statments made by Board members
> @ of ARIN.
>
> ARIN is one company of several companies. It appears
> that it has been formed by Network Solutions, Inc. and SAIC
> as part of the grand evolution plan they have developed in
> conjunction with the National Science Foundation to dismantle
> the InterNIC by March of 1998.
>
> To place all of the responsibility for the IPv4 Core Transport
> Network address space management on ARIN would not be wise.

  I agree it wouldn't be.  But it appears that that is what is
in the offing.

> ARIN is supposed to have a small portion of the address space.
> Unfortunately, no one has ever described precisely what part
> of the address space will be delegated to ARIN.

  Yes, and this is troublesome to myself and I am sure others.
Maybe it is to early in the transition to determine what the
actual outcome of what part or all of the Ipv4 address space
will be managed and by whom.  But from the tennor of the
comments from Board members here on this list, it seems that
ARIN is prepairing to manage all of the Ipv4 space.

> There are other organizations, with more experience, more
> stability, and better customer service than ARIN who could
> be delegated parts of the IPv4 address space for management.

  Though this may be true, I have seen no perposal to do this
yet.  I do hope that it does come to pass however.  In this event,
there still needs to be sound policies to do so that all
organizations that MAY be managing ipv4 or Ipv6 address space
must or should follow.

> In my opinion people and companies should be working to
> cultivate those companies. We should have a dozen ARINs
> in the U.S. alone.

  I don't know what the number SHOULD be, but certianly more
than one.

> --
> Jim Fleming
> Unir Corporation

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com