when & how could policy be changed

Justin W. Newton justin at priori.net
Wed Jul 2 01:26:50 EDT 1997

>of a net reduction in table size, but this assumes that these small
>customers would be allowed to de-aggregated from their PA space,
>which in a large number of cases is contractlly disallowed currently.
>So I still don't see a net reduction.

Uhm, who contractually disallows that?  I.e. if I have provider A space and
a provider B connection in addition to my provider A connection, both would
have to announce the block which provider A allocated to me, specifically,
or it would be /impossible/ to use both lines at the same time.

>I'd like to seem some real world numbers based on multihomed ASs
>announcing /20s or smaller that aren't aggregated currently.

You're taking full routes aren't you? :)  (I'm not at the moment, or I
would do it.  There are a few other things I want to do with a BGP dump
anyway).  If anyone is willing to make a dump available to me for ftp I
would be greatly appreciative.

>>You're ignoring the important minority here: servers.
>
>I don't seem renumbering serves as a very difficult challenge.
>I've renumber servers on 3 networks, two of them being regional ISPs,
>and it just isn't that hard.  (Hint IP aliasing makes it much less painful).

Having been involved in all of the discussions at Erol's as to their
renumbering plan (they are renumbering out of their original PA space at
the moment), the one thing that is a real nightmare for ISPs to renumber is
name servers.  I really do not envy their position in telling 200k users to
go into their settings and change their DNS server IP's.

Justin W. Newton                  voice: +1-415-482-2840
Senior Network Architect            fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net
Director At Large, ISP/C           http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."