another org to give money to?

Nathan Soward nsoward at SPRYNET.COM
Tue Jan 28 10:23:13 EST 1997

Dan Rothstein wrote:

> Is it really necessary to develop another orginization to collect money?
> The registration process as it stands works fine. My company will be
> registering 700 domains this year at a cost of $150.00 per 2 years. That
> means I will be sending you $70,000. Now you want more? This is absurd!
> You are hosting DNS. If you pursue this course of action I will be
> recommending all our customers dump their .com and use another domain
> server.
>
> Don't be greedy. It will end a very lucrative deal for you.
>
> --
> Dan Rothstein                      dan at mc.net
> (847)516-5700               http://www.mc.net

 Hi Dan,

Thought I would respond to your message since you are about get told in
a firm way you do not know what you are talking about.  I have been
lurking here for sometime after a similar start. Might I suggest you do
the same, for a while.

Now,  after listening for sometime to all of the suggestions and reasons
why we need a separate registry mainly because Europe and Asia have one
and the NSF is no longer going to send Internic money.  Then might I
propose that instead of all this board of trustee, membership meetings
etc etc.  Why not just leave the registration where it is, let Kim
continue to run it and add $2.00 per year to the cost of each DNS making
it cost $52.00 instead of $50.00.  In this way the end users are truly
paying the bill.

Answer to why it will not work:

1. This is probably to simple

2. Some would receive no glory

3. It might even cost less since a lot of the costs being proposed are
already being paid for by the DNS    people. Buildings, computers,
Lawyers, billing, management, etc.

4. This is just plane non-sense it will never fly.

5. It would cost less each year since more names are being registered

Nathan

PS.

Dan, It only cost $50.00 per year for each name.  $100.00 in advance for
the first two years. The other $50.00 is kept by the guy doing the setup
for you. Yes, you can do it yourself if you know how and save the
$50.00.