Oppose more ISP fees

The Innkeeper the_innkeeper at SOLS.NET
Mon Jan 27 09:34:13 EST 1997

> >>From    Rol Murrow  Chairman, Air Care Alliance
> >                    President, EVAC
> >                    Northeastern Representative, AOPA
> >
> >Additional fees are unnecessary and completely contrary to the interests
of
> >the public in expanding public access through the internet.  I am
involved
> >with more than thirty struggling volunteer-based public service
> >organizations, most of which already find the domain name registration
costs
> >to be excessive.  In effect, high costs prevent them from developing
public
> >exposure on the internet, to the great detriment of the public in
learning
> >about such valuable services.
>
> Could you clarify this a bit?  Are you saying that the additional fees
are
> unnecessary because the function is adequately funded through other
means,
> or that fees are detrimental to the functioning of certain organizations
> that contribute to the common good?
>
> If the former, are there proposed functions that you consider not needed,
> thus reducing costs on which fees should be set?
>
> If the latter, where do you believe the funding should come from?
Perhaps
> a tax on for-profit Internet users?  From specific governent funding>

I think Rol may have a point he may not intend to have Howard.  Maybe he is
saying there should be something built in for other non-profit
organizations to receive limited IPs for their internal use at a possible
discounted cost??  At least this is what I am getting out of the statement.

Stephan R. May, Sr., Manager, Southeastern Online System Services
                   http://www.sols.net    the_innkeeper at sols.net
                     VOICE: (304)235-3767   FAX: (304)235-3772
Proud member of the Association of Online Professionals Board of Directors
                                        http://www.aop.org