Oppose more ISP fees

Darin Wayrynen darin at GOOD.NET
Mon Jan 27 13:17:10 EST 1997

> I think Rol may have a point he may not intend to have Howard.  Maybe he is
> saying there should be something built in for other non-profit
> organizations to receive limited IPs for their internal use at a possible
> discounted cost??  At least this is what I am getting out of the statement.
>
> Stephan R. May, Sr., Manager, Southeastern Online System Services
>                    http://www.sols.net    the_innkeeper at sols.net
>                      VOICE: (304)235-3767   FAX: (304)235-3772
> Proud member of the Association of Online Professionals Board of Directors
>                                         http://www.aop.org

I feel so charitable today.  So much that I am willing to donate my
Class A Address space (10.0.0.0) for charitable use, free of cost!

This network is magical as it will only work locally (so using it for
internal use is a perfect match for it's powers) and an organization
can use it without fear of it clashing with another organization's
usage of it.

I'm sorry, but the logic of this thread is a perfect example of why it
is necessary to have a ARIN's Board comprised of people who understand
the way the current IP allocation schemes work.

For the uninformed RFC 1597 states:

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
following three blocks of the IP address space for private networks:

                10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255
                172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255
                192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255

Darin
--
         \////
        ( o o )                   'shredding packets from coast to coast'