Legal Obligation(s) of ARIN services??

John LeRoy Crain John.Crain at RIPE.NET
Mon Jan 27 05:07:19 EST 1997

 satchell at ACCUTEK.COM (Stephen Satchell) writes:

 * In the discussion of the updated proposal, Kim says that ARIN would also
 * take on the responsibility for maintaining the IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name
 * space, that space which is used to map IP numbers back to domain names.  (I
 * have registered my disagreement with the IN-ADDR.ARPA name space management
 * idea, because it means that a system administrator would have to deal with
 * ARIN for *part* of its domain-name service, and with another organization
 * for another part of domain-name service.  We give out numbers.  The Domain
 * Name assignment system, currently part of NSI's function, associates
 * numbers with names and names with numbers.)
 *
 * It's a book-keeping job.

To help answer why ARIN should handle in-addr.arpa delegations;

Scenario;

Assuming ARIN is allocated xxx.0.0.0/8 by IANA they handle
the in-addr.arpa zone for this. This also brings responsibilities
with it.

If ARIN gives xxx.1.0.0/16 to ISP GOOD then they could
be responsible for that /16.

Suppose ARIN registers

xxx.2.0.0/17 to ISP ABLE  and
xxx.2.128.0/17 to ISP CAN.

Who handles the reverse delegations for xxx.2.0.0/16?

I would suggest the same people that handle xxx.0.0.0/8,
in this scenario ARIN.

John Crain