Proposed changes to the proposal WAS:Re: I see the Web page has been updated today..

Justin W. Newton justin at EROLS.COM
Sun Jan 26 20:58:20 EST 1997

At 07:08 PM 1/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Michael,
>	The initial board will have fixed terms of 1,2 & 3 years in
>order to ensure stability in the organization
>	the reason that we did not establish the AC election process
>is because we think that the initial AC should do that - voice of the
>members and all that.

I'm still curious as to how a BoT selected committee is the voice of the
membership.  I would like to recommend the following changes to the
proposal...

1) It is explicitly stated that after the originally BoT appointed AC's
terms expire (terms which are not explicitly stated in the current draft)
the new AC is selected by the members from among member nominated choices.
(self-nomination is allowed).

2) No BoT or AC member can hold a paid position inside the non-profit.
(There is too much conflict of interest there).  If we /have/ to have a BoT
or AC member that works for the non-profit it should definately be a
non-voting position.

3) The originally appointed BoT cannot make any changes to the original
by-laws (which is what I am assuming this proposal is going to become)
without a membership vote.  This prevents the BoT from making changes which
could in effect change all of the progress that has been made in this
proposal (yes, this proposal is a BIG improvement over the last one).

4) A mechanism is added for removing deadwood BoT or AC emmbers who are not
pulling their load or are acting against the best interests of the membership.

So, what do you all think?

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services