ARIN Proposal

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Thu Jan 23 05:29:15 EST 1997

At 10:23 PM -0700 1/22/97, Stephen Satchell wrote:
>At 11:43 PM 1/21/97, David Schwartz wrote:
>>        If you move, you have to notify your friends, change your mailing
>>address everywhere it appears, change your phone number, maybe drive
>>further to work, and so on and so forth. Is this grounds for an action
>>against your landlord?
>
>But only because the United States Postal Service agrees to forward your
>mail for a year (or is it six months now) as you are able to get notices
>out.  Ditto the telephone company when you move and they put an intercept
>on your telephone number for a set time.
>
>Question:  are there any RFCs which discuss intercept/forwarding of IP
>packets based on IP address changes?  If not, then perhaps it's time to
>consider putting one together.  That way, when a customer changes providers
>the *old* provider would provide forwarding services for a limited time,
>just as one telephone operating company provides the intercept for an old
>customer who has moved.

Not precisely.  There have been proposals; I remember one from Tim Bass.

The closest RFCs probably are:

   RFC1631 on Network Address Translation
   RFC1853, 1701/2 and others on IP tunneling
   RFC2072 on Router Renumbering

>Much of the squawking I've seen on this list regarding changing providers
>could be fixed with such a scheme.  Then the problem reduces to one of the
>multi-homed networks.

Referral/translation tools are commercially available, but can have major
performance and operational impact.  There's no single accepted way to do
it.