ARIN Proposal

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu Jan 23 01:45:44 EST 1997

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Stephen Satchell wrote:

> Question:  are there any RFCs which discuss intercept/forwarding of IP
> packets based on IP address changes?  If not, then perhaps it's time to
> consider putting one together.  That way, when a customer changes providers
> the *old* provider would provide forwarding services for a limited time,
> just as one telephone operating company provides the intercept for an old
> customer who has moved.

This can be done right now as long as certain conditions are met.

1. Old provider must support IP tunneling at the endpoint of their
   network.

2. Customer must be willing to pay for the service because packets will
   traverse old provider's network just as before and then traverse
   at least part of the old provider's network a second time as they
   tunnel to their destination. This could be minimized if both old and
   new providers have a private exchange point nearby or there is a
   public exchange in that city.

3. Customer must have the expertise to handle this at their end, i.e.
   they will have to deal with the endpoint of an IP tunnel and make sure
   that their routing sends packets the right way. This is probably not
   hard because the tunnel is really only there for inbound traffic and
   they might as well send the outbound outside the tunnel.

I think most people would rather take the one time hit of paying to
renumber rather than taking a hit to set up a tunnel and then paying
monthly for the service.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049