Good intent and somewhat competent

Stephen Satchell satchell at accutek.com
Sat Jan 18 23:20:44 EST 1997

At 5:45 PM 1/18/97, Randy Bush wrote:
>It would help everybody, and make a better end result for the internet, if
>we kind of assumed that the people busting their buns trying to get this
>out of the old NSF/NSI cradle have good intent and are somewhat competent.

I would feel that way if the following were to happen:

1)  There was a detailed and legal specification for the work that neede to
be done.

2)  There be a request for price quotations to perform the work detailed in
the specification.

3)  There be a performance bond requirement, plus some proof that each
bidder could indeed do the job and stick with it.

4)  The bids be made public, and discussed in public.

If it weren't for the fact that I just took a new day job, I'd be
interested in bidding for the business.  From the back-of-the-envelope
calculations, I could do it for considerably less than the annual $1000 per
committee member plus annual $2500 per allocation.  Remember, this registry
doesn't need multiple T3s in order to do its task -- but domain name
management does.

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
<http://www.accutek.com/~satchell> for contact and other info