Why split IP allocations from the Internic?

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Wed Feb 26 12:39:19 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:

> In closing, can you or anyone explain in GREAT detail
> why everyone seems to have decided that the IP address
> allocations be split from the InterNIC, especially when their
> is only one+ year left on the Cooperative Agreement ?

Quite simply, when the coop agreement ends, the Internic no longer
has to supply IP allocation services. Therefore, some arrangements
have to be made in advance of that point to avoid the chaos that
would result if an essential service were to disappear.

I can't see that any more detailled explanation is required than this.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049