"leasing" the addresses

Stan Barber sob at ACADEM.COM
Thu Feb 27 18:09:08 EST 1997

> On Thursday, February 27, 1997 4:41 PM, Stan Barber[SMTP:sob at academ.com] wrote:
> I can be the leasing agent for an apartment building that I do not own.
> An insurance company or bank may own it.

Absolutely, but the lease would be between the owner and the tenant, not
the leasing agent and the tenant, right? I am no lawyer, but in the cases
were I have rented something, I was dealing with someone representing the
owner's interests.

> BTW -  Who does own the addresses ?

Probably the same folks that owns the air we breath:-)

The IANA is the ultimate steward of the address space. You'd need to query
them about the owner. I have been around the Internet for years and in all
that time the important thing about addresses is their uniqueness, not the
ultimate owner.

One of the important things about ARIN is that it is possible that the folks
who benefit from this registration effort get to be involved in the stewartship
role more directly. This has not been the case in the Americas, like it has
in other  parts of the world.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.