[dbwg] WHOIS Modification Part 2 of 2

Cathy Murphy cathym at arin.net
Wed Nov 20 20:12:33 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Shane Kerr wrote:

> On 2002-11-20 13:55:34 -0500, ginny listman wrote:
> >
> > A discussion took place during the Database Implementation Working
> > Group Meeting at ARIN X in Eugene, Oregon, that networks associated
> > with organizations, as well as all autonomous system queries provide a
> > postal address for the holding organization.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  While organizations have addresses, networks
> and ASN's can span large areas.
>
> Is the idea to pull the address from the contact and display it with the
> resource?
>
> Shane

As far as I recall the discussion at ARIN X, the request was for the
postal address of the resource holder, not that of the contact.  The
address would be included just after the Org ID, e.g.,

CURRENT:

    OrgName:    American Registry for Internet Numbers
    OrgID:      ARIN

    NetRange:   192.149.252.0 - 192.149.252.255

PROPOSED:

    OrgName:    American Registry for Internet Numbers
    OrgID:      ARIN
    Address:    3635 Concord Parkway, Suite 200 Chantilly VA 20151
    Country:    US

    NetRange:   192.149.252.0 - 192.149.252.255

(The exact format of the address line or lines will depend on the outcome
of the separate thread of the dbwg.)

Cathy Murphy <cathym at arin.net>
Principal Software Engineer
+1 703 227 9875