DBWG introduction

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Thu Oct 18 05:40:32 EDT 2001

On 2001-10-17 09:00:04 -0400, Jim Meck wrote:
> Greetings.
> General DBWG Items of Interest/Potential Contribution:
> - Customer data protection, vulnerability, privacy, competition impact
> - Data security, in transmission and at rest
> - GLBA, HIPAA regulatory compliance
> - Security policy capture, compliance, and enforcement mechanisms

<snip/>

> 2. My most pressing line of inquiry is in the area of vulnerability.
> I have grave concerns over the competitive impact relating to the
> unsecure submission and posting of customer information.  For many in
> our DC client base, this is a non-starter.  What solutions or waivers
> have been derived to address this issue?

While I find the "privacy" issues of the ARIN database somewhat
interesting, this is an angle that I hadn't really considered a problem.
What problems do you expect to find?  Competitors cold-calling your
customers based on contact information found in the Whois database?

I can see that customers don't like having their information published
in Whois, but since all ISP's ultimately have to get their space from
ARIN (or another RIR), this shouldn't impact competition.

Of course, sooner or later some state is going to make the information
that ARIN requires illegal to ask for and/or publish.  But that's the
future, right?  :P

--
Shane
Speaking only for myself, if even that.