DBWG introduction

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Wed Oct 17 09:31:02 EDT 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Jim Meck wrote:

> Greetings.
> General DBWG Items of Interest/Potential Contribution:
> - Customer data protection, vulnerability, privacy, competition impact
> - Data security, in transmission and at rest
> - GLBA, HIPAA regulatory compliance
> - Security policy capture, compliance, and enforcement mechanisms
>
> Specific Questions and Immediate concerns:
> 1. Is the DBWG email archive available/searchable?  I suspect the majority, if
> not all, of my questions have already been raised, I simply need to know where
> to search.  Is this strictly a mailing list or is there a news server as well?

The dbwg archives are located at:

However, the issues you have addressed have not be discussed.  You should
also visit the other ARIN archived lists to see what the community has
been discussing, at:

    http://www.arin.net/members/mailing.htm

Please feel free to bring up any topic you feel is relevant to the ARIN
community on any of the public lists from this site.

> 2. My most pressing line of inquiry is in the area of vulnerability.  I have
> grave concerns over the competitive impact relating to the unsecure submission
> and posting of customer information.  For many in our DC client base, this is a
> non-starter.  What solutions or waivers have been derived to address this issue?

As far as posting customer information, ARIN does have a policy to accept
"PRIVATE RESIDENCE" for those reassignments that need to be SWIP, but the
information needs to remain private.  However, if you are reassigning or
reallocating IP space to a business where the technical contact is from
the downstream we will require a valid address and POC.  The critical
piece of information is the POC, and can be used in the event that there
are problems with the network.

> I appreciate the assistance.

Ginny Listman
Director of Engineering