Authorization and Authentication

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Wed Jan 24 13:07:00 EST 2001

Thank you for bringing this issue to the dbwg mailing list,
David.  This is one of many topics on our agenda to be
discussed on this list.

We would like to reopen this discussion and identify any
preferences our members may have regarding the method of
authorization and authentication to be used with our new
database interface.  This topic could also be further
discussed during the dbwg at the Member Meeting in April.

Do you, the users of the ARIN database, have a preference
of authorization and authentication methods or general
comments you would like to make as we define the requirements
of this feature to our new database interface?

Options discussed in the past have included PGP, certificates,
and SSL-based passwords.

All comments made to this list are appreciated, as your
feedback is very important to the process of developing the
new ARIN registration software.

One final note is that one of ARIN's top priorities is the
database redesign to improve performance.  Although we may
discuss authorization and authentication concerns/methods,
realistically, ARIN will not be implementing them until next
year.

Ginny