Another design question

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Thu Jan 11 16:09:24 EST 2001

IP number ranges and AS numbers do not have snail-mail addresses, phone
numbers, or e-mail addresses.  A network, including both network numbers
and AS numbers, can span any number of possibly disjoint geographic
areas.  IP is designed to separate physical topology from logical
topology, and does a pretty good job of it.

The networks or ASN's should have the name of a person or role (help
desk, whatever) to contact in the case of operational problems (network
unreachable, spam, whatever).  This point of contact (POC) will
necessarily have at least one of snail-mail address, phone number, or
e-mail address.  ARIN also needs the name of a person or role that is
responsible for administrative changes to the network which will
likewise have contact inforamtion, but that doesn't really need to be
public.

Since the US Supreme Court gave corportations the same legal standing as
individuals in 1886, I suppose it makes sense that they should also have
address, phone number, and e-mail attributes in the database.  :)  And
since each network or ASN presumably belongs to an organization, that
contact information will be available as well, again possibly only to
ARIN.

Shane