SWIP netblocks

Gogulski, Mike Mike.Gogulski at dsl.net
Wed Jan 3 12:17:00 EST 2001

Ginny,

I'd say "no", and provide one example to support my position.

Many ISPs are deploying DSL services using bridged networking models.
Typically, the ISP allocates a large block (/24 or so) at a time to an
integrated routing and bridging interface, and then assigns customer
addresses from this block one at a time as customers come online.  If a
customer requires more than one IP address, these can be assigned, and they
do not have to be assigned on CIDR boundaries at all.

If the assignment is larger than a /29, ARIN policy requires that the
reassignment be documented via SWIP or RWhois.  Implementing this policy
would force an ISP who needed to assign a customer (for example) 9 IP
addresses for a bridged DSL service 16 addresses instead, a net waste of 7
addresses.  This would be in conflict with one of ARIN's other stated policy
goals, namely the conservation of IPv4 address space.

Peace,
Mike Gogulski
Chief Engineer
DSL.net, Inc.