[ARIN-consult] Reminder on ARIN Consultation on RPKI/BGP

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at es.net
Wed Feb 14 18:09:03 EST 2024

Thus spake Richard Laager (rlaager at wiktel.com) on Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 02:42:19PM -0600:
> On 2024-02-14 14:32, William Herrin wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 12:26 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> > > We have no control over those who choose not to utilize IRR or RPKI services –
> > > while we have many many changes to make it easier to enter into the RSA
> > > (and also many changes to utilize ARIN’s RPKI services), in the end it is still
> > > each customer's choice regarding what services make sense for them.
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > The Registration Services Agreement currently doesn't make sense,
> > according to your numbers, to the registrants of 31% of the
> > registrations you hold. Maybe you're doing it wrong.
>
> Which is the (major) issue:
>
> A) Legacy registrants can't be bothered to do anything.

Many legacy registrants are governmental entities, and it is (from
first-hand experience) non-trivial to clean up record keeping dating
from the 1980's, then escort the RSA's terms and conditions through
the sausage grinder of lawyers so it could even be legally signed.
Then we did it all again for the RPKI Relying Party Agreement.  So,
one does have to be sufficiently motivated.

> B) Legacy registrants don't want to pay the same fees.

Possibly also true, but fees were waved for some time.

> C) Legacy registrants don't want to give up the idea that they might "own"
> the resources.

This has gotten better over time.  Not perfect, but better.  Anyone with
an IPv6 allocation clearly figured it out.

Dale