[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2014.6: RPKI ROAS WITH AN ORIGIN OF AS0

ARIN info at arin.net
Fri Mar 28 15:20:08 EDT 2014

ARIN has issued its initial response to ACSP Suggestion 2014.6. The
suggestion and response text are provided below. This suggestion remains
open and is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2014-6.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

Allow creation of RPKI ROAs with an origin of AS0.

Rationale: Some prefixes are never intended to be injected into the
global routing table. Specifically IXP LAN prefixes. By creating an ROA
for AS0, this would create an invalid signature for any announcement.

*Response:*

Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2014.6 upon receipt and
confirmation, requesting that we allow for the creation of RPKI ROAs
with an origin of AS 0.

You raise an excellent point. RFC 6483 section 4 specifically describes
AS 0 origination, and it was an oversight in ARIN's RPKI implementation
not to allow it. We will be correcting our RPKI system to include this
core feature by the end of Q2. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

This suggestion will remain open until this work is completed. This will
take 1.5 person months. Please note that these are good-faith, general
estimates to include development, testing, and implementation; as such
they are subject to change.