[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2014.29: ENABLE SSL SUPPORT FOR WHOIS.ARIN.NET

ARIN info at arin.net
Fri Dec 5 14:17:19 EST 2014

ARIN has issued its initial response to ACSP Suggestion 2014.29. The
suggestion and response text are provided below. This suggestion remains
open and is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2014-29.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

security warnings when initiating Whois searches from ARIN.NET.

It seems out-of-character with the importance of this site on the
internet that whois.arin.net is http:// instead of https://, thus
resulting in a security warning if somebody initiates a whois from the
SEARCH Whois box on the main ARIN home page.

Value to Community: TRUST of users who use the ARIN.NET website to find
out essential information about the responsible parties for
ARIN-distributed resources.

*Response:*

Thank you for submitting your suggestion, numbered 2014.29, on the topic
of enabling SSL support for whois.arin.net. ARIN agrees implementing
your suggestion would be very useful, and we intend to do so.

ARIN currently has a similar open suggestion to support HTTPS for
WHOIS-RWS (numbered 2014.4). Our comments stated for this earlier
suggestion apply to both the earlier suggestion and your newly submitted
suggestion. Here is the text from our response to the earlier suggestion:

Thank you for your suggestion, numbered 2014.4 upon receipt and
confirmation, requesting https support for Whois-RWS. ARIN agrees that
this would be a very useful, in fact we previously attempted to provide
a https solution approximately two years ago. We were unable to complete
the effort due to the operational issues described below. In deploying
new services for Whois-RWS, ARIN has three requirements.

1) Whois-RWS is fronted by load balancers. 2) The load balancers must
support ssl-offloading for effective throughput. 3) We must have both
IPv4 and IPv6 capability for any existing or new public service.

Unfortunately, we have found that our existing load balancers do not
support IPv6 adequately and become unreliable when the ssl-offloading
feature is enabled. Despite promises made by our vendor following
multiple requests that fix their systems to enable feature parity
between IPv4 and IPv6, they have indicated that they will not support
these features in a timely manner. Therefore, ARIN is in the process of
replacing these load balancers with a vendor who can deliver IPv6
capability. We hope to have the new load balancers deployed in Q4 of
this year, which will permit us to enable https support for Whois-RWS by
Q1 of 2015.

Our implementation for this new suggestion also requires the replacement
of our current load balancers to ones that reliably support both IPv6
and SSL-offloading. This work is currently underway and its completion
will allow ARIN to implement solutions in response to suggestion 2014.4
and 2014.29.

Thank you again for your suggestion; it will remain open until this work
is completed.