[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2012.34 - AMEND IPv6 FEE STRUCTURE

ARIN info at arin.net
Thu Feb 28 12:23:03 EST 2013

ARIN has issued its initial response to ACSP Suggestion 2011.34 The
suggestion and response text are provided below. This suggestion remains
open and is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2011-34.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

As a small ISP, we have been working to get our customers involved in
IPv6 for years now. Our IPv4 allocation is XSmall, and until this year,
our IPv6 allocation has cost us nothing above our IPv4 allocation.

As I'm sure you are aware, the new system that is now in place is
phasing in IPv6 pricing over the next few years, with the price being
the larger of the allocations that the organization has.

Unfortunately, this has exposed a problem for very small ISPs which have
been moving customers to IPv6, in that we are now faced with the choice
of either dropping our IPv6 allocation, or paying for a Small
allocation, without the need or availability of the extra V4 addresses.

This is basically a tax on smaller ISPs (not borne by any other class of
ISP, since they all can get V6 allocations commensurate with their V4
allocations, thus removing the extra fee), during an economic climate
that is already making things difficult for smaller organizations.

We believe that this practice creates an undo hardship for the smallest
of the ISPs in our community, and will increase pressure to drop IPv6
support due to the nearly doubling of ARIN fees.

Considering the much larger pool of IPv6 small blocks vs the size of the
pool of IPv4 XSmall blocks, this seems capricious. Clearly, making it
more expensive for small ISPs to provide IPv6 support runs counter to
ARINs goals of increasing IPv6 adoption.

We propose that ARIN explicitly allow ISPs who are only using XSmall
allocations in IPv4 to continue to bring the benefits of IPv6 to their
customers by allowing those organizations to be eligible for Small IPv6
allocations at no extra cost. This should discourage small ISPs from
removing IPv6 support as a cost cutting measure or being the only class
of ISPs that have to pay EXTRA for IPv6 support.

*Response:*

This is in response to your suggestion noted below and assigned number
2011.34 upon receipt of your confirmation.

The ARIN Board of Trustees recently adopted a new fee schedule,
effective 1 July 2013.

The adopted fee schedule is the result of many considerations, including
input from multiple fee schedule consultations and suggestions such as
this one.

As a result of the new fee schedule being announced, this suggestion is
now closed.