[arin-ppml] Proposal to ban Leasing of IP Addresses in the ARIN region

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Wed Sep 22 20:49:09 EDT 2021

Hi Bill,

Ok, I got it now.

Well, I suppose we could concern ourselves with Lessors getting around policy through tunnels that technically provide connections but don't carry much traffic.

I think that words like "primary" and "majority" would be difficult to apply and would require more thought in multi-homed environments.

However, like the routing table pollution issue, it's besides the point.

Any interested Lessor wouldn't bother, they would just purchase RIPE addresses for this purpose.

This way they don't have to bother their lessee with nonsense tunnel configurations.

And anyway, this would simply lock in the big networks and lucky incumbents as the only Lessors allowed in the market.

I contend that reducing this population to big networks and lucky incumbents isn't likely to benefit Lessees in the market.

Regards,

Mike

---- On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:17:58 -0400 William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote ----

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM Mike Burns <mailto:mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
> What you wrote below is actually the current policy, why clutter things?
>
> " LIR-assigned number resources employed by an end user with a routing
> policy in which the LIR is not the primary network service provider handling
> the majority of the end user's associated network traffic do not count
> toward the LIR's efficient utilization of addresses."

Hi Mike,

Because that isn't the current policy. The addresses have to be
contractually attached to some network resource you sell me but I
don't have to use them with the resource. Primarily or even at all.

I talked about this in recent posts: right now someone who wants to
just be in the business of leasing addresses can meet ARIN policy by
providing a nil-cost network resource along with the addresses with
the wink-and-nod expectation that the lessee won't use it. This is the
"VPN" example. The parties would have to be a little careful with
their wording to avoid committing fraud but it's easily enough
structured.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--