[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jul 15 13:24:52 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> Such a separation doesn’t preclude the community from adopting policy which
> references the present or future state of routing (note, for example, the
> use of
> “multihoming” criteria in several portions of the NRPM), but folks are
> reminded
> that in Internet number resource policy we should only be specifying how
> the
> ARIN registry is to be administered, not how things are to be routed,
> since the
> latter is up to each ISP.

Hi John,

In the interests of clarifying your remarks:

ARIN does not set or even recommend routing policy. Participants in the
ARIN policy process routinely consider industry routing practices, IETF
recommendations, etc. when suggesting ARIN address management policy and
ARIN routinely enacts such policy.

Right?

Regards,
Bill Herrin