[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-3: Remove 30 day utilization requirement in end-user IPv4 policy

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Fri May 29 16:27:02 EDT 2015

Bill,

I'm not sure.

WRT ISPs there is (at least until depletion happens) slow start, so you get
a small chunk, use it up and come back... Once you have a one year history
of growth, you can use that past year's growth as a measure of justified
need for the next quarter from ARIN or next two years from the market.
In that case future need is based on real demonstrated past need.

WRT endusers it is completely a future looking projection.  Which makes me
think hand waving, indisputable projections, and ARIN not in a position to
dispute the viability of a business case.  The 25% in 30 days is
demonstration of real need (not a projection) with a short enough horizon
that it feels like ARIN could do something about a request that was pure
smoke. The problem is larger deployment just don't move that quickly.  One
could have a medium sized network, and a need to number out of PA space,
but unable to renumber 25% of the network in 30 days.  I would a real
inventory of real equipment that needs addressing should be sufficient.

Removing the 25% / 30 day requirement without some added test based on a
current or past measure of need to deflate a purely future looking
projection seems too liberal.

__Jason