ARIN-PPML Message

[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - April 2012

> The AC abandoned ARIN-2011-5, ARIN-2011-7, and ARIN-2012-4 and kept
> ARIN-2012-2 on their docket. Anyone dissatisfied with these decisions
> may initiate a petition. The petition to advance these draft policies
> would be the "Last Call Petition." The deadline to begin a petition
> will be five business days after the AC's draft meeting minutes are
> published.

The minutes from the ARIN Advisory Council's April 25 meeting have
been published:
https://www.arin.net/about_us/ac/ac2012_0425.html

The deadline to begin a petition is 22 May 2012.

For more information on starting and participating in petitions, see PDP
Petitions at: https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp_petitions.html

The ARIN Policy Development Process can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)



On 4/30/12 1:18 PM, ARIN wrote:
> In accordance with the ARIN Policy Development Process the ARIN Advisory
> Council (AC) held a meeting on 25 April 2012 and made decisions about
> several draft policies.
>
> The AC moved the following draft policies to last call (they will be
> posted separately to last call):
>
>   ARIN-2012-1: Clarifying requirements for IPv4 transfers
>   ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers
>
> The following remains on the AC's docket:
>
>   ARIN-2012-2: IPv6 Subsequent Allocations Utilization Requirement
>
> The AC abandoned the following:
>
>   ARIN-2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension
>   ARIN-2011-7: Compliance Requirement
>   ARIN-2012-4: Return to 12 Month Supply and Reset Trigger to /8 in
> Free Pool
>
> The AC provided the following in regards to ARIN-2011-5: "After much
> debate, the proposal in question was sent forward to the Board for
> implementation, this resulted in conversations with the IETF and the
> publishing of RFC 6598, which requested the space be allocated via
> IANA. This has been done, and therefore policy action by ARIN is no
> longer necessary. The board referred the policy back to the AC, and
> the AC hereby abandons the policy to successfully conclude its policy
> life-cycle. The AC thanks the community for its support in this endeavor.
>
> Regarding ARIN-2011-7, the AC stated, "After several revisions and
> much work with both the policy originators and the general community,
> this policy has still been unable to gain a positive consensus. As
> such, it is the belief of the AC that no further productive work can
> be done with this specific policy and we have thus voted to abandon it.
> We're happy to work on future policy to meet the needs of the
> community. The AC invites community members who wish to participate in
> future policy development to contribute their ideas or policy proposals."
>
> Regarding ARIN-2012-4, the AC stated, "The abandonment motion was
> based on two main points:
> * Approximately an even split in the community, both on PPML and at
> ARIN XXIX, favoring/opposing the measure.
> * Concern about losing soft landing aspects of a 3 month window (soft
> landing procedures are in effect at other RIRs)."
>
> The AC abandoned ARIN-2011-5, ARIN-2011-7, and ARIN-2012-4 and kept
> ARIN-2012-2 on their docket. Anyone dissatisfied with these decisions
> may initiate a petition. The petition to advance these draft policies
> would be the "Last Call Petition." The deadline to begin a petition
> will be five business days after the AC's draft meeting minutes are
> published. For more information on starting and participating in
> petitions, see PDP Petitions at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp_petitions.html
>
> Draft Policy and Proposal texts are available at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html
>
> The ARIN Policy Development Process can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Communications and Member Services
> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)