[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 29 08:01:15 EDT 2012

>> And not just beneficial for  speculators or  IPv4 resource holders in
>> possession of resources that they do not require,  and orgs that want
>> more resources than they can justify.
>
> oops. You may not realize it, but you just admitted that there is no such thing as "the community." You've observed that the people involved here fall into a variety of different groupings with different interests - legacy holders, speculators, prospective buyers who "want more resources than they can justify," and others, good guys like you and Hurricane and Comcast.

Nope... Any community is usually made up of various groupings with different interests. It's frankly pretty close to how I would go about defining a community.

> Now please be grown-up and stop calling your faction "the community." It's rude. Kinda like the guy who relegated 4 or 5 participants on this list to the status of non-persons by claiming that "no person" had supported the position they repeatedly expressed.

I'm calling the people who made their opinions clear in the last round leading up to the Vancouver meeting and those that spoke and voted at the Vancouver meeting "the community", not merely my faction. The community supported 24 months. My faction supported no more than 12 months and wanted to see the value set to the same number for free pool and directed transfers regardless of what number was chosen. (3/3, 12/12, or 24/24). The current (3/24) value is the result of a strong preference expressed by the community (the consensus derived from all of the different factions that spoke), not any single faction.

I have no problem expressing my own position as my position and/or the position of some faction within the community if that is the case.

However, part of my job as an AC member is to assess the overall collective will of the community. In general, you will rarely see me say that the community supports one particular thing or the other unless it is based on policy enacted through the PDP through community discussion and at least a vote of the AC and usually ratification by the board (though sometimes I will speak as such while the policy still awaits board adoption).

Owen