[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 29 01:40:26 EDT 2012

"Substantial data!" Thank you. I would love to have a data-driven discussion of this issue. Let's get started.

Tell me: what _kind_ of data would indicate to you that a change is warranted? Would it be something like a yield curve for address blocks? Would it involve a discount rate? But...how would either be defined in the absence of active trading across different time periods?

As my previous message indicated, I have a very strong suspicion that the 24 month period is arbitrary and has no more or less support than 60 months or 12 months or 6 months. But since you are saying that the data does not support a change, you must have some idea of what kind of data would justify the 24 month period. Please do lay it out for us. Explain how this data generates "substantial" support for the 24 month period.

If you can't, why then you'd be obligated to admit that what is now 24 months may just as well be 240 or 2.4 months, wouldn't you?

> And not just beneficial for  speculators or  IPv4 resource holders in
> possession of resources that they do not require,  and orgs that want
> more resources than they can justify.

oops. You may not realize it, but you just admitted that there is no such thing as "the community." You've observed that the people involved here fall into a variety of different groupings with different interests - legacy holders, speculators, prospective buyers who "want more resources than they can justify," and others, good guys like you and Hurricane and Comcast.

Now please be grown-up and stop calling your faction "the community." It's rude. Kinda like the guy who relegated 4 or 5 participants on this list to the status of non-persons by claiming that "no person" had supported the position they repeatedly expressed.

--MM