[arin-ppml] Nanog IPV4 Panel Discussion and 8.3 transfers

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Mon Feb 6 16:14:11 EST 2012

Nanog hosted a panel discussion this morning which included a number of
different aspects of the transfer policy.  I'd encourage people to
review the video and/or transcript once it is published.

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog54/abstracts.php?pt=MTg5MiZuYW5vZzU0&nm=nanog54

One thing area of discussion that I thought was interesting and somewhat
different than I expected is the following and that probably needs some
discussion.

Someone asked what happens if...

Vendor A sells a /16 to Vendor B.  Vendor B can justify a /20 under
current policy.  ARIN's response (channeling John Curran's response to
this question) to this transfer would be to update the WHOIS to reflect
that Vendor B now has a /20.

This leaves a very uncomfortable situation of what happens to the rest
of the /16.
Does the remainder of the /16 become "unallocated" from a WHOIS
perspective or does Vendor A still have some claim on it (e.g. the
original /16 record remains)?
Later can Vendor B come back to ARIN and say now I can justify a /18,
please update my WHOIS record?