[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 28 09:51:56 EDT 2011

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 28, 2011, at 4:11 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> But you aren't talking about including it in the current price.... You're talking about jacking everyone for more money and forcing them all to pay for it whether they want it or not.
>
> You asked:
>
> "Can I continue to opt out of these additional services and not have my fees increased, please."
>
> I said:
>
> "That is also a possibility"
>
> It requires that we not only don't include these services, but that we
> don't normalize the fee structures between ISPs, Endusers, and Legacy
> address holders whereby they pay similar fees for similar services, i.e.
> if the recurring fees for ISPs go down, then the maintenance fees for
> for everyone has go up.  There are some additional services that we can
> include in this process, but indeed it would still be an increase.

I don't favor reducing the recurring fees for ISPs on the backs of end users.

> We don't have to change the ISP fee structure, but as a practical matter,
> ISPs are paying significantly more on a recurring basis for registration
> services and depending on their circumstances, may not be actually using
> any significantly more or different services from end-user organizations.

If they are not doing Whois updates with reassignment and reallocation information, then, why are they paying as ISPs. If they are doing so, then, they are using resources and services that are not available to end users.

Further, end users that choose to have a voting voice in ARIN today pay not $100/year, but $600/year, so the disparity there is not as large as you are claiming.

I like the idea of a $300 voting option for end users, but, not the idea of forcing all end users to pay 2-3 times what they currently pay for the same services.

Most end users are pretty static and don't make many changes to their Whois data. They usually have three resource objects in the database (1@ ipv4, ipv6, and asn). Most ISPs are or should be doing regular updates managing many objects.

Owen