ARIN-PPML Message

[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-141 Combined M&A and Specified Transfers - version 2

The proposal originator revised the proposal.

Regards,

Communications and Member Services
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)


## * ##


ARIN-prop-141 Combined M&A and Specified Transfers
Proposal Originator: Matthew Kaufman
Proposal Version: 2
Date: 17 May 2011
Proposal type: new
Policy term: permanent
Policy statement:

To section 8.2 change "... ARIN will work with the resource holder(s) to
return, aggregate, or reclaim resources as appropriate via the processes
outlined in current ARIN policy (for example, sections 4.6, 4.7, or 12
of the NRPM)." to

"...ARIN will work with the resource holder(s) to return, aggregate,
transfer, or reclaim resources as needed to restore compliance via the
processes outlined in current ARIN policy."

Rationale:
Given that both M&A transfers and specified transfers are possible, it
should be possible to execute a combined transfer in which unneeded
resources are transferred via 8.3 (rather than returning unneeded
resources to the free pool) and the rest are transferred via 8.2. Doing
this in the wrong order (i.e., attempting to execute the 8.2 transfer
first) should not penalize the transferring entity... especially as
ARIN's opinion as to what is "no longer justified under ARIN policy" is
best known by ARIN and may not be completely knowable by the
transferring entity.

Note that as there is no ARIN policy permitting IPv6 specified
transfers, this policy would only affect IPv4 resources at this time.

New text removes references to other NRPM sections by number, shortens
text by inlining the transfer option.

Timetable for implementation: immediate



ARIN wrote:
> ARIN-prop-141 Combined M&A and Specified Transfers
>
> ARIN received the following policy proposal and is posting it to the
> Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) in accordance with the Policy
> Development Process.
>
> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) will review the proposal at their next
> regularly scheduled meeting (if the period before the next regularly
> scheduled meeting is less than 10 days, then the period may be extended
> to the subsequent regularly scheduled meeting). The AC will decide how
> to utilize the proposal and announce the decision to the PPML.
>
> The AC invites everyone to comment on the proposal on the PPML,
> particularly their support or non-support and the reasoning
> behind their opinion. Such participation contributes to a thorough
> vetting and provides important guidance to the AC in their deliberations.
>
> Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html
>
> The ARIN Policy Development Process can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html
>
> Mailing list subscription information can be found
> at: https://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/
>
> Regards,
>
> Communications and Member Services
> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
>
>
> ## * ##
>
>
> ARIN-prop-141 Combined M&A and Specified Transfers
>
> Proposal Originator: Matthew Kaufman
>
> Proposal Version: 1
>
> Date: 2 May 2011
>
> Proposal type: new
>
> Policy term: permanent
>
> Policy statement:
>
> To section 8.2 change "... ARIN will work with the resource holder(s) to
> return, aggregate, or reclaim resources as appropriate via the processes
> outlined in current ARIN policy (for example, sections 4.6, 4.7, or 12
> of the NRPM)." to
>
> "... ARIN will work with the resource holder(s) to return, aggregate, or
> reclaim resources as appropriate via the processes outlined in current
> ARIN policy (for example, sections 4.6, 4.7, or 12 of the NRPM), or to
> transfer resources to a qualified specified recipient via the processes
> outlined in current ARIN policy (section 8.3 of the NRPM)".
>
> Rationale:
>
> Given that both M&A transfers and specified transfers are possible, it
> should be possible to execute a combined transfer in which unneeded
> resources are transferred via 8.3 (rather than returning unneeded
> resources to the free pool) and the rest are transferred via 8.2. Doing
> this in the wrong order (i.e., attempting to execute the 8.2 transfer
> first) should not penalize the transferring entity... especially as
> ARIN's opinion as to what is "no longer justified under ARIN policy" is
> best known by ARIN and may not be completely knowable by the
> transferring entity.
>
> Note that as there is no ARIN policy permitting IPv6 specified
> transfers, this policy would only affect IPv4 resources at this time.
>
> Timetable for implementation: immediate
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>