[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Wed May 11 23:09:51 EDT 2011

Hi Jon,

Here are some examples of an entity that may want to purchase addresses but not demonstrate need:

1. A company with a 5 year planning horizon
2. A company that wants to provide temporary allocations
3. A company that wants to specialize in very rapid allocations, like same-day service.
4. A company that stocks addresses for sale in to those who would pay more for guaranteed availability
5. A company who is concerned about future supply.
6. A company that wishes to lease address space rather than sell it
7. A company who seeks to buy up small allocations to aggregate them in to larger, more valuable netblocks
8. A seller of vanity ip addresses like 100.100.100.100
9. A speculator willing to risk money to buy addresses as an investment for anticipated gains in address prices.
10. A company whose anticipated need does not begin for 12 months.

I'm sure there are many more that I cannot think of. I agree with you that most buyers will have need, and I agree with you that most buyers will see the value of maintaining a valid ARIN whois record pointing to their authority.

But the policy in APNIC was changed to remove needs requirements for transfers for the same reasons I am requesting its removal here.
My policy proposal also has the benefit of incentivizing legacy resources to come under RSA, and it serves to even the playing field between the disparate rights of legacy versus non-legacy holders.

And my underlying point is the obvious one, that the very act of paying for address space is a very good indication of need, or at least perceived need on the part of the buyer.

Regards,
Mike