[arin-ppml] LRSA requirement for resources being transferred (Was: ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Feb 25 16:25:33 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 3:15 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2011, at 3:57 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> Once ARIN becomes aware that the resources are no longer being utilized by the
>>> resource holder of record, they can be considered abandoned and made available
>>> for registration to an RSA-contracted recipient. Beyond that, there is no real need
>>> for enforcement, per se.
>>
>> And that *is* enforcement of ARIN policy.  In the example, number resources are being used in a manner agreed upon by both the original resource holder and the new resource holder.
>
> We have no problem changing the registration records in the
> ARIN Whois in accordance with the community-developed policy.
> To the extent a resource holder is using the resources (even
> if underutilized), it has been our practice not to make policy
> that would hinder their use of the resources.  This is not the
> case when a party has stopped using the number resources, and
> then attempts to attempts to fraudulently transfer them.

The word "fraudulently" is contentious when applied in this situation, i.e. applied to transfers that are prohibited solely within the context of ARIN policy.  It's not clear that ARIN has the authority to interfere with any behavior (including transfer) post-allocation of an address block, absent an agreement with the holder.

Cheers,
-Benson