ARIN-PPML Message

[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

On Feb 25, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> It's quite likely that many of these transfers will take place outside of ARIN's framework due to the unwillingness of market participants to subject themselves to ARIN's peculiar methods.

You omitted out one little detail:  those "peculiar methods" are actually the
policy that the community wants in this region, and so we follow the policy
because that's what keeps the Whois database useful for their purposes.

This is called community-developed policy, and it is not developed in vacuum,
but within the established global policies for number resource management.

If it turns out there are parties who neither like the policy nor are willing to
participate in getting it changed to meet their needs, then ARIN probably
can't help them, because we bound by existing agreements to manage the
resources accordingly and to maintaining an open and transparent process
for policy change.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO