[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Apr 16 13:25:49 EDT 2011

On 16-Apr-11 00:46, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On 4/15/2011 9:53 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>>>
>>> If indeed the recipient only had to sign an LRSA this would
>>> *strongly* suggest that in fact, as I have noted before, legacy
>>> resources are more valuable than ARIN-issued ones... and not just to
>>> the seller.
>>
>> The press release explicitly stated that "The transfer of IP
>> resources to Microsoft took place using this relatively new policy."
>
> Clarity dictated that the press release simply state "the transfer of
> IP resources to Microsoft took place according to section 8.3 of the
> ARIN Number Resource Policy Manual"

The audience for press releases is, as the name implies, the press.
Such a specific reference is unnecessary for the few members of the
press who would understand it and would only sow confusion, i.e. /reduce
/clarity, for those who wouldn't.

>> That could only refer to NRPM 8.3, the only "relatively new policy"
>> regarding
>> transfers.  NRPM 8.3 states " Such transferred number resources may only
>> be received under RSA ...."
>>

> That section also specifies the resources must be released TO ARIN.  The
> bankruptcy documents CLEARLY STATE that the resources WERE NOT released
> "TO ARIN" they were SOLD to Microsoft.

Numbers cannot be sold, so that is irrelevant--if it's even what the
final documents actually say.

>> Ergo, Microsoft must have received these resources under RSA.
>
> Not if it went under a Section 8.2 transfer.

See above.

> In short, ARIN was notified that Nortel made a transfer to Microsoft
> and under section 8.2 has the authority to "consider a request"
> meaning they can GRANT a request if they so choose.

So, you are openly accusing ARIN's President and CEO of issuing a
fraudulent press release?