[arin-ppml] Controlling the IPv6 address consumption rate

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Oct 13 10:54:57 EDT 2010

> Responsible management demands that we treat some portion of that 22
> bits as a consumption suppressor so that we don't quickly run out of
> IPv6 addresses. Whatever is left over, be it 4 bits, 20, or anything
> in between, that's the number of bits we can actually afford to use
> for nice-to-haves, like a larger standard end-user assignment than /60
> (/56 or /48), sparse assignment and so on.

Whoaaa there!!!
The IETF defined standard end user assignment is /48.
That is not a nice-to-have, that is the standard. ARIN policy, and every
other RIR policy accepts end user assignments of /48 as standard.

It is the /56 prefix that is non-standard and this appeared in policy
because cable companies have to address every house that they pass,
not just the ones that they connect. The /56 was introduced as an
OPTIONAL standard assignment for residential users.

Of course people can shoot themselves in the foot with even longer
prefixed is they want to, but that should not be part of this kind of
analysis.

Quite frankly, after seeing your statement above, I didn't read the
rest of your analysis nor did I even bother to check whether your
analysis is meaningful in any way.

--Michael Dillon