[arin-ppml] Controlling the IPv6 address consumption rate

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 13 11:16:53 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:54 AM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> Responsible management demands that we treat some portion of that 22
>> bits as a consumption suppressor so that we don't quickly run out of
>> IPv6 addresses. Whatever is left over, be it 4 bits, 20, or anything
>> in between, that's the number of bits we can actually afford to use
>> for nice-to-haves, like a larger standard end-user assignment than /60
>> (/56 or /48), sparse assignment and so on.
>
> Whoaaa there!!!
> The IETF defined standard end user assignment is /48.
> That is not a nice-to-have, that is the standard. ARIN policy, and every
> other RIR policy accepts end user assignments of /48 as standard.

Michael,

At the same time (maybe even in the same RFC), the IETF decided that
end users would not multihome using BGP with multiple ISPs under IPv6.
That too is the official standard.

We always listen to what the folks in the IETF have to say, but
sometimes they don't know what the eff they're talking about.

> Quite frankly, after seeing your statement above, I didn't read the
> rest of your analysis nor did I even bother to check whether your
> analysis is meaningful in any way.

Your loss. If you'd bothered, you would have discovered that we don't
actually have enough bits in the v6 address to do everything important
in the quantity we're told we should be doing it. Like it or not,
we'll have to pick and choose.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004